Friday, February 8, 2008

Personal Reflections from Mitzi Johnson

When I think about Papa John and what he’s meant to my life, my thoughts go back to when he and my mother first got married almost 25 years ago. What I remember most about those early years is the wonderful family dinners we would have every night of the week. Papa John, Mama, Jan, and I would sit around a tiny little table that Papa had built. Often, both Mama and Papa John would have worked 12 hours or longer at the hospital or clinic. And yet, every night we would have candlelight, a delicious meal, and soft music (or occasionally Johnny Cash). Our conversations would go on for an hour or more. Back then, Papa would often talk about his experiences as a new doctor, or his years living in France, or places he had been to when he worked for the EPA, or stories about what life was like raising five kids. We would also talk about history, literature, music, politics, or the events of the day.

But you know what? As much as I learned from listening to Papa John all those nights around the dinner table and in twenty years of similar dinner conversations since then, I’ve learned far more important lessons simply by watching his actions.

In the book of Mark, Jesus tells us the most important thing we can do is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all strength. Most of you -- especially those of you here from his church family at All Saints -- know how thoroughly Papa lived out this verse. Despite a work schedule that began at daybreak and often stretched well into the night, Papa lead a life of regular prayer, bible study, fellowship, and fasting. Even when he had precious little strength to give, there he would be on Sunday morning ready to worship.

Jesus also tells us the next most important thing we can do is to love our neighbors as ourselves. This Papa also did every single day. For him, the practice of medicine was not a job or a means to an end; it was a ministry and a way to demonstrate his faith. I know my mother has been comforted by the hundreds of cards many of you have sent with stories of what Papa has meant to you … about the times when your children were sick and the night seemed dark and long and Dr. K’s calm, steady voice gave you the assurance you needed to make it until morning. I’ve been at the house countless times when Papa had put in a full day only to be called to the hospital sometimes two or three times during the night. I never once heard him complain.

When it comes to loving one’s neighbor, I could go on and on. I could talk about how he saw one too many accidents happen on graduation night and decided to found Project Graduation. I could talk about how his idea of a vacation was to go to a country struggling to overcome the ravages of genocide and help to reinstall some semblance of medical services in that country. About how he helped to start a school where a sound Christian education would be offered and how he would go on his non-existent lunch hour to teach French. I know many of you could add your own stories.

Papa, you know I love you. You showed me what a marriage grounded in love and faith looks like and what it means to have integrity. You taught me to be forever a student of the world and to keep my eyes and ears and most importantly my heart wide open.

Papa, I know right now you’re sitting around the dinner table lingering over your ice cream with ginger snaps enjoying a nice, long conversation with the lord your loved and served so well.

No comments: