Friday, February 8, 2008

Remember what it was like after your first child was born? Not remembering the fatigue and still raging hormones, but the ecstasy and love. Above all else, it is your family you want to be with and around. The pull on those "roots" is gargantuan. When Julia was born, we were living in Bellingham, Washington and both my mother and father were planning on being at the birthing. However, my father had just 6 weeks earlier suffered a major heart attack making them both unable to travel. So when the babe was 5 weeks of age, I stubbornly packed her up in a snuggly and hopped on the next plane heading to NC. This is where Papa saved my life! (he is my brother's father in law) He knew that I could not drive from Raleigh to Roanoke Rapids with that baby, alone, after having traveled across the country. He knew that my parents could not make that drive to pick me up. He knew how much Phyl and Frank wanted to see that little baby. He knew my determination. He knew and understood the entire situation at that moment. So...Papa flew his twin Comanche from Morehead to Raleigh, picked up Julia and me, and then flew us to Halifax Regional Airport where my mother could easily reach us. And then he just departed back home. No fanfare, no bugles, simply his mission of mercy was done. Papa embodied the spirit of purity of intention.
Matthew 6:1,4 Be on guard against performing religious acts for people to see. Otherwise expect no recompense from your heavenly Father. Keep your deeds of mercy secret, and your Father who sees in secret will repay you.
Papa was beautiful. Thank you for letting me share this with you. love, Anne Fondren

No comments: